The purpose of the VCA Teaching Artist Roster is to identify and promote highly qualified and experienced teaching artists who have expertise in different disciplines. Teaching artists are able to instruct and engage Virginians through audience specific curriculum.
The Teaching Artist Roster is a panel reviewed group of artist-educators approved by the Commission who are professional artists with the complementary skills of an educator. They are knowledgeable in the techniques and content of their disciplines and are adept at developing and implementing audience specific arts curriculum. Teaching Artists are professionals committed to the development of their own artistic practice as well as their teaching pedagogy with the desire to share their knowledge and experience through residencies and workshops.
Teaching artists must be:
- 18 years of age or older at the time of applying;
- a resident of Virginia, Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, West Virginia, and/or the District of Columbia;
- professional artists with expertise in one or more disciplines;
- skilled in working with children, youth, teachers, adults, seniors, veterans, and/or other populations;
- committed to differentiated instruction and effective teaching methods to reach all learners.
NOTE: Full-time students are ineligible to apply for the Teaching Artist Roster. Although the Commission promotes the roster to grantees and others, it does not guarantee that teaching artists will be offered work.
- Applications for October 16, 2017 (Extended for 2017) will be submitted via our new online grants management system
- Final reports for FY18 AIE grants will be submitted via our online grants management system
Applications for the Teaching Artist Roster will be accepted twice a year during two cycle deadlines. The next round of application will be completed via our new online grants management system. The next deadline for application review will be October 16, 2017 (Extended for 2017) – Cycle A or April 2, 2018 – Cycle B.
Criteria for Evaluating Applications
A statewide panel will review each application based on the teaching artist’s professionalism, artistic quality, instructional aptitude, curriculum and lesson planning, and collaboration and program management. An evaluation rubric is provided for reference at the end of the application and the Teaching Artist Handbook.
Applications and the supporting materials will be reviewed by the Commission’s Artist Roster panel comprised of artists and educators representative of different disciplines. Panel and staff recommendations are then reviewed by the Commission board which makes the final decisions on those teaching artists included in the roster. Names of Commissioners and advisory panelists, as well as dates and locations of Commission and panel meetings, are available from the Commission office and on the Commission website. For more information about the Commission’s Teaching Artist Roster visit http://www.arts.virginia.gov/roster_howto.html to download the Teaching Artist Handbook and application.
Arts in Education Coordinator
Virginia Commission for the Arts