Application and Forms
Creative Communities Partnership Grants encourage local governments to support the arts.
The Commission will match, up to $4,500, subject to funds available, the tax monies given by independent town, city, and county governments to stand-alone arts organizations. The money, which does not include school arts budgets or arts programming by local governments, committees or councils of government, nor departments such as parks and recreation, may be subgranted either by a local arts commission/council or directly by the governing body.
Independent city, town, or county governments in Virginia.
Grants to independent arts organizations for arts activities in the locality, including activities that promote cultural equity and access. (See IDEA, p. 5.) The Commission does not match payments paid to performers for specific performances. Local governments seeking such funding should apply to the Performing Arts Touring Assistance Program.
W-9 Form Requirement
All organizations applying to the Virginia Commission for the Arts are required to provide a Virginia W-9 Form. Download a W-9 form, HERE.
DUNS Number Requirement
All applicants must include their DUNS number when applying for a grant. Obtaining your DUNS number is a free, straightforward process. For more information, click here.
The online application is due on April 1, 2021 by 5:00 PM for local government grants awarded in 2021-2022.
NOTE: A local government that has not approved its budget by the grant deadline may apply conditionally and confirm the application as soon as possible.
Amount of Assistance
Up to $4,500, subject to funds available. Local government match must be from local government funds; federal funds may not be included.
Criteria for Evaluating Applications
- Artistic quality of the organizations supported by the city/county/town
- Clearly defined policies and procedures for awarding local funds to arts organizations
- Degree of involvement of artists and arts organizations in the local process of awarding grants
- Demonstrated community impact
- Description of ongoing local government support for arts programs and funding
Application Review/Payment Procedure
- Local governments must complete and submit the online application by the deadline. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
- The Commission staff reviews each application for completeness and eligibility.
- The Commission staff makes recommendations on levels of funding for each application.
- The Commission board reviews the staff recommendations and takes final action on the applications.
- After confirmation of the grant award, each local government must complete the online final report/confirmation form that its governing board has appropriated the matching funds and the funds from the Commission. This confirmation must include the appropriate page of the local government’s approved 2021 - 2022 budget and a copy of the check (s) to the sub-grantee (s). The Commission will pay the grant in full after receiving this confirmation. The deadline for the final report/confirmation is February 1, 2022.
- Note: If the local government receives more than $750,000 in yearly federal expenditures from Commonwealth agencies, local government may be asked to submit their Single Audit.
Note: If the local government receives more than $750,000 in yearly federal expenditures from Commonwealth agencies, local government may be asked to submit their Single Audit.