Application and Forms
To assist arts organizations in improving their artistic quality, service or benefit to the community, or management.
These grants are designed to provide external support of human resources for arts organizations to address particular challenges. The Commission staff will help organizations find the appropriate consultants or workshops for their needs, if requested.
Virginia organizations whose primary purpose is the arts, local arts agencies that are units of local government, and public art programs (excluding other units of government, educational institutions and their private companion foundations) that meet the Basic Eligibility criteria. The organizations must be incorporated in the state and have their headquarters and home seasons, or activities equivalent to a home season for non-producing organizations, in the state.
- Short-term consultations on particular artistic or organizational challenges, with the staff of the applicant organization carrying out the resulting plan of action
- Sending administrators, board members, and other authorized representatives to conferences or seminars that will increase job effectiveness
- Support for purchasing equipment (non-capitalized), subscriptions, and setting up platforms for organizations to go fully virtual in order to connect with each other and patrons.
Virginia W-9 Form Requirement
Plan ahead! All organizations applying to the Virginia Commission for the Arts are required to provide a W-9. Download a W-9 form, HERE.
DUNS Number Requirement
All applicants must include their DUNS number when applying for a grant.Obtaining your DUNS number is a free, straightforward process. For more information, click here.
Applications go online April 1, 2021, and are accepted throughout the year--at least four weeks before the proposed activity occurring between July 1, 2021 and June 15, 2022, or until funds run out.
Amount of Assistance
Up to $1,000 (non-matching) per year. Grants are awarded from available funds on a first-come, first-served basis with priority given to small arts organizations with budgets of $150,000 or less from April 1- May 1, 2020.
Criteria for Evaluating Applications
- Need by applicant organization for the proposed activity.
- Financial need of the organization for the requested grant.
Application Review/Payment Procedure
- Applicants must submit the online application form at least four weeks before the proposed activity to take place between July 1, 2020 and June 15, 2021. The Commission does not accept materials via hard copy, facsimile transmission or other electronic means.
- The Commission staff reviews proposals and notifies applicant promptly.
After receiving confirmation of a grant, the grantee may proceed with the activity. Upon receipt of the final report, the Commission will authorize payment to the grantee
Back to top