Application and Forms
To assist arts organizations in improving their artistic quality, service or benefit to the community, or management.
These grants are designed to provide external support or human resources for arts organizations to address particular challenges. If requested, the Commission staff will help organizations identify appropriate consultants or workshops for their needs.
Virginia organizations whose primary purpose is the arts, local arts agencies that are units of local government, and public art programs (excluding other units of government, educational institutions and their private companion foundations) that meet the Basic Eligibility criteria. The organizations must be incorporated in the state and have their headquarters and home seasons, or activities equivalent to a home season for non-producing organizations, in the state.
- Short-term consultations on particular artistic or organizational challenges (including strategic planning or business model development), with the staff of the applicant organization carrying out the resulting plan of action.
- Sending administrators, board members, and other authorized representatives to conferences or seminars that will increase job effectiveness.
Virginia W-9 Form Requirement
Plan ahead! All organizations applying to the Virginia Commission for the Arts are required to provide a W-9. Download a W-9 form, HERE.
Applications go online April 1, 2022, and are accepted throughout the year--at least four weeks before the proposed activity occurring between July 1, 2022 and June 15, 2023, or until funds run out.
Amount of Assistance
Up to $1,000 (non-matching) per fiscal year. This limit may be increased to $2,500 for any one of the proposed activities:
- providing a technical assistance activity for several organizations in one geographic area
- providing an activity involving a statewide group of organizations working in the same art form
- business/strategic planning consultancies in excess of $10,000.
Criteria for Evaluating Applications
- Need by applicant organization for the proposed activity
- Financial need of the organization for the requested grant
Application Review/Payment Procedure
- Applicants must submit the online application form at least four weeks before the proposed activity.
- The Commission staff reviews proposals and notifies the applicant promptly.
After receiving confirmation of a grant, the grantee may proceed with the activity. Upon receipt of the final report, the Commission will authorize payment to the grantee.