Below are valuable resources for forming a non-profit organization. In order to do business in Virginia as a nonprofit, you need to:
- Register with the State Corporation Commission.
- File for exemption from federal income tax with the IRS.
The websites below explain how to become incorporated, how to become tax exempt, what reports Virginia organizations must file each year, and how to comply with Virginia employment law.
- Starting A Nonprofit: What You Need to Know - PDF Produced by University of Richmond School of Law
- Business Registration Guide (published by the Virginia State Corporation Commission)
- Employer Handbook (PDF published by the Virginia Employment Commission)
- Obtaining and maintaining tax exempt status (a new website of the IRS)
- Starting a Nonprofit, Foundation Center
- Starting a Nonprofit in Virginia, Virginia DBA
- Applying for Tax Exemption, Internal Revenue Service
- How to Start a Nonprofit, National Council of Nonprofits
- How to Start a Nonprofit, Arlington Business Resource Center