- ConnectRichmond is a nonprofit and civic hub that provides information sharing tools and resources to empower individuals, advance organizations, and strengthen community.
- Alliance For Nonprofit Management is the professional association of individuals and organizations devoted to improving the management and governance capacity of nonprofits - to assist nonprofits in fulfilling their mission.
Daily digest of arts, culture and ideas. Each day ArtsJournal features link to stories culled from more than 200 English-language newspapers, magazines and publications featuring writing about arts and culture.
BoardSource increases the effectiveness of nonprofit organizations by strengthening boards of directors through our highly acclaimed consulting practice, publications, tools, and membership program.
- Center for Nonprofit Excellence (Charlottesville)
By bringing local, regional, and national resources to a single place, the Center for Nonprofit Excellence saves area nonprofits time, money, and frustration - leaving them free to manage their business!
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
We are an independent, nonprofit organization. That means our focus is on ensuring the services you use meet your needs for quality and the best possible outcomes. CARF reviews and grants accreditation services nationally and internationally on request of a facility or program. Our standards are rigorous, so those services that meet them are among the best available.
- Council on Accreditation
The Council on Accreditation (COA) partners with human service organizations worldwide to improve service delivery outcomes by developing, applying, and promoting accreditation standards.
- National Council of Nonprofit Associations
NCNA links local organizations to a national audience through state associations and helps small and midsize nonprofits: manage and lead more effectively; collaborate and exchange solutions; engage in critical policy issues affecting the sector; and achieve greater impact in their communities
- Peter F. Drucker Foundation for Nonprofit Management
Established in 1990 as the Peter F. Drucker Foundation for Nonprofit Management, the Frances Hesselbein Leadership Institute furthers its mission to strengthen and inspire the leadership of the social sector and their partners in business and government by connecting the public, private and social sectors with curated resources and relationships to serve, evolve and lead together.
- Policy Governance
Policy Governance® is an integrated set of concepts and principles that describes the job of any governing board. It outlines the manner in which boards can be successful in their servant-leadership role, as well as in their all-important relationship with management. Unlike most solutions to the challenge of board leadership, its approach to the design of the governance role is neither structural nor piecemeal, but is comprehensively theory based.
- Stay Exempt: Tax Basics for 501(c)(3)’s
Obtaining and maintaining 501(c)(3) tax exempt status is crucial to the success of many organizations. This online training provides the tools and knowledge to help you keep your organization's exempt status intact.
The following resources are recommended for providing useful information related to nonprofit capacity building
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management membership association that delivers management and governance support services to nonprofit organizations
- Blue Avocado: free monthly electronic newsletter designed specifically for nonprofit Board members. Brief and readable!
- Chronicle of Philanthropy: print and online publication focused on nonprofit fundraising topics.
- CompassPoint: formerly the Support Center for Nonprofit Management, it helps nonprofits utilize the management tools and concepts to help them best serve their communities.
- Free Management Library: a comprehensive resource regarding the leadership and management of organizations
- Idealist.org: find volunteer opportunities, nonprofit jobs, internships, and organizations working to change the world
- Independent Sector: national umbrella organization representing the nonprofit community in America; conducts extensive research on related topics, including statistics on giving and volunteering. 202-467-6100
- Internal Revenue Service: comprehensive listing of resources for tax-exempt organizations, including how to start a nonprofit
- Nonprofit Good Practice Guide: a one-stop shop for widely accepted and innovative nonprofit practices
- Nonprofit Risk Management Center: comprehensive source of legal information related to all aspects of nonprofits, including volunteer management. 202-785-3891
- Nonprofit Times: leading business publication for nonprofit management. Free to nonprofit organizations. Conducts annual salary survey.
- TechSoup: technology resources aimed at nonprofit organizations featuring NPO discounts, discussions, articles, and recommendations
- Third Sector New England: provides capacity building programs and services for individual nonprofits and the nonprofit sector