- Five digital images of works on paper defined as two-dimensional pieces of art using the medium of paper. Examples include prints, drawings, and watercolors. All applicants are required to submit five jpg or png digital images. Composite images, multiple images combined into a single image file are not permitted. Samples must be recent and created within the past five years.
- Descriptive information including title, year completed, medium, dimensions, and a brief description of the work
Application Information for Songwriting
- Artist narrative not to exceed 5,000 characters including spaces addressing the following.
- How would fellowship funding impact your artistic development?
- Why is it important that you receive a fellowship at this time?
- How does your art contribute to the Commonwealth of Virginia?
- Three full length or partial audio artistic samples with a total combined running time not exceeding 10 minutes. Samples must be recent and created within the past five years and submitted as URL links.
- Descriptive information including title, year completed, length of sample, and a brief description of the work
- PDF upload of lyrics and instrumentation
To recognize the creative contributions of artists to the Commonwealth of Virginia and support their pursuit of artistic excellence.
A limited number of fellowships are available to professional creative artists living in Virginia. Funding in this category is highly competitive. Specific arts disciplines will be eligible for support each year on a rotating basis, depending upon the amount of state and federal funding available to the Commission. Artists should confirm with the Commission staff the select disciplines for each year.
Online application is due October 3, 2022, by 5 PM.
- Artists who are legal residents of Virginia
- Artists who plan to remain a Virginia resident during the grant period
- A legal resident possesses a valid Virginia driver’s license and/or pays income taxes in Virginia and/or is a registered Virginia voter
- Artists who are 18 years of age or older
Amount of Assistance
A limited number of artists will be considered for fellowship awards of up to $5,000 each. Artists are not required to provide matching funds.
Criteria for Evaluating Applications
Applications are evaluated on the following:
- consistent quality of the artist’s work;
- applicant’s record of professional arts activity and achievement as reflected in the resume;
- and fellowship potential to result in significant advancement for the artist’s career.
Application Review/Payment Procedure
1. Artists must complete and submit the online application by October 3, 2022 by 5 PM.
2. Applications are reviewed by an advisory panel of professionals in the appropriate discipline. The panelists make their recommendations after group discussion.
3. The board of the Commission makes the final decision on all applications.
4. Payment to the artists will be made by January 16, 2023. Fellowship awards are reported as taxable income.
ContactFor any questions about the Artist Fellowships, contact:
Casey Polczynski, PhD
Arts in Education Coordinator
Virginia Commission for the Arts